The AAMI is excited to announce the main stage entertainment for our 2019 Juneteenth celebration. Our largest free event, this annual program will be held at Viola Gibson Park in Cedar Rapids on June 15 from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM. In addition to the main stage performers, attendees will be able to enjoy local food and retail vendors and family-friendly activities. Juneteenth is an annual, nation-wide celebration of the freeing of the last slaves in the United States on June 19, 1865, when news of the Emancipation Proclamation at last reached Confederate Galveston, Texas.
Main stage entertainment for the AAMI celebration will include:
- CBS2/FOX28 reporter Kayla James as the event MC
- DJ Tone Da Boss returning to provide musical entertainment
- Published poet and Washington High School student Diamond Roundtree performing a spoken word piece
- Zette St. Charles with a reading of Myrlie Evers-Williams’ speech from Barack Obama’s 2013 inauguration
- Music from the Veritas Church choir
- A performance from the Washington High School Step Team
- TC Boyd with a spoken word performance
- Solo music performance by Ruby Melendez
Other activities will include past Juneteenth entertainer TJ the Clown returning to create balloon art, artist Donald Hunt creating an interactive work of art that will ask attendees what Juneteenth means to them, face painting by Nicolette Wordburn, games and crafts for kids, and an opportunity to interact with Cedar Rapids firefighters. Sponsors for the event will include Alliant Energy, Cedar Rapids Civil Rights Commission, FRIENDS of Iowa of Civil Rights, and U.S. Bank Foundation. More information about the event and additional performers and sponsors will be added to our Juneteenth page as we approach the event. Check out our press room for a press release and press kit.