Enrich and expand your curriculum in a fun and memorable way with a field trip to the African American Museum of Iowa. During this hands-on, on-site learning experience, students will:
- Make a first-hand connection to history
- Strengthen observation and critical thinking skills
- Learn tolerance and historical empathy
- Benefit from exposure to diverse ideas
- Expand their awareness of their own community
Field Trip Guidelines
Field trips are available Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Gallery tours are recommended only for grades 3 and above. You may bring groups of the following sizes:
- Grades 3–5: 10 to 60 students
- Grades 6–8: 10 to 50 students
- Grades 9–12: 10 to 40 students
Learning Safari hands-on workshops are recommended for PreK through second grade.
The per student cost is $3.50 for a tour of one exhibit and $1 for each additional exhibit tour, workshop, and/or activity. We offer free admission to two chaperones for every 15 students. Subsequent chaperones pay the regular adult admission of $5 per person. These rates are effective for all tours taking place on or after June 18, 2018.
K-12 groups may request up to one hour of complimentary use of the museum’s Celebration Hall or Learning Lab for lunch, subject to staff approval and availability.
Tours must be scheduled at least seven days in advance. To request a field trip, submit the form below.