Enrich and expand your curriculum in a fun and memorable way with a field trip to the African American Museum of Iowa. During this hands-on, on-site learning experience, students will:
- Make a first-hand connection to history
- Strengthen observation and critical thinking skills
- Learn tolerance and historical empathy
- Benefit from exposure to diverse ideas
- Expand their awareness of their own community
Field Trip Guidelines
Field trips are available Tuesday through Friday, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Gallery tours are recommended only for grades 3 and above. You may bring groups of the following sizes:
- Grades 3–5: 10 to 60 students
- Grades 6–8: 10 to 50 students
- Grades 9–12: 10 to 40 students
Learning Safari hands-on workshops are recommended for PreK through second grade.
Effective 9/1/2019 for all tours booked after 8/23/2019, the per student cost is $4.50 for a tour of one exhibit and $1 for each additional exhibit tour, workshop, and/or activity. We offer free admission to two chaperones for every 15 students. Subsequent chaperones pay the regular adult admission of $6 per person.
K-12 groups needing a lunch space may reserve the Museum’s Celebration Hall or Learning Lab, subject to staff approval and availability. Information and rates for both spaces can be found here.
Tours must be scheduled at least seven days in advance. To request a field trip, submit the form below.