Enrich and expand your curriculum in a fun and memorable way with a field trip to the African American Museum of Iowa. During this hands-on, on-site learning experience, students will:
- Make a first-hand connection to history
- Strengthen observation and critical thinking skills
- Learn tolerance and historical empathy
- Benefit from exposure to diverse ideas
- Expand their awareness of their own community
Field Trip Guidelines
Field trips are available Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Learning Safari hands-on workshops are recommended for PreK through second grade. Gallery tours are recommended for grades 3 and above.
We recommend groups of the following sizes:
- Grades PreK-5: 10 to 25 students
- Grades 6–8: 10 to 30 students
- Grades 9–12: 10 to 30 students
The per student cost is $4.50 for a guided tour of one exhibit and $1 for each additional guided exhibit tour, workshop, and/or activity. We offer free admission to two chaperones for every 15 students. Additional chaperones are permitted at the regular adult admission rate of $6 per person.
Field trip groups needing a lunch space may reserve the Museum’s Celebration Hall or Learning Lab, subject to staff approval and availability. Information and rates for both spaces can be found here.
Tours must be scheduled at least seven days in advance. To request a field trip, submit the form below.