The African American Museum of Iowa is excited to announce that our doors will reopen to the public on July 10. At the time of our reopening, we will be hosting the Smithsonian traveling exhibit Voices and Votes in partnership with the Czech Village/New Bohemia Main Street District and the National Czech and Slovak Museum. As we prepare for reopening, we would like to make visitors aware of details that will help ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
Information for Planning Your Visit
- All visitors over the age of two will be required to wear a mask when inside the Museum. If you do not comply with this guideline, you will be asked to leave. This requirement does not apply to individuals who are unable to wear a face covering due to a medical condition.
- The Museum will be open with limited hours until further notice:
- Fridays from 12 PM to 6 PM
- Saturdays from 10 AM to 4 PM.
- Capacities will be limited in all areas of the AAMI building. Please be aware that you may have to wait outside or in our lobby before entering the exhibits.
- Visitors are encouraged to set up a contactless pay method on their smart phones, such as Apple Pay or Google Pay. If you are unable to use one of these options, please use a card payment or use exact change when paying with cash.
- Group size will be limited to six visitors and all visitors will be required to maintain a distance of six feet from those not in their group when inside the Museum building.
- Some of our hands-on activities have been removed or modified. Please enjoy the rest of our exhibits at your own discretion, and thank you for your understanding.
Full visitor details can be found here.
If you have any questions about visiting the Museum during this initial phase of reopening, please use our contact form or call 319-862-2101 during our open hours. For more more details about our ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic, please read our response page.
Our regular admission fees will continue to be in place during this time. Discount admission for SNAP benefit recipients is available through our Museums for All partnership, and limited free passes will be available through the Adventure Pass program for card holders of select Iowa public libraries.