Work at the African American Museum of Iowa
Join the team at the African American Museum of Iowa.
There are no employment opportunities at this time.
Internships are available to current and recent undergraduate and postgraduate students. Internships are unpaid. To apply for an internship, submit an internship and volunteer application.
Assist the curatorial staff with developing upcoming exhibits and managing the museum’s collection, archives, and library. During your internship, you may:
- Catalog objects, archives, and library materials in the AAMI’s PastPerfect collections management database
- Write condition reports and photograph objects
- Rehouse objects and archival material in storage
- Digitize collection materials
- Complete oral history transcriptions
- Conduct research for future AAMI exhibitions
- Assist with the development and installation of temporary exhibitions
- Assist with the development of traveling exhibitions
Scheduling is flexible based on the intern’s availability and is established at the start of the internship. Available hours are Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The total hours of completed may be dictated by the intern’s college or university.
- Undergraduate or graduate student in museum studies, public history, history, African American studies, American studies, English, or other relevant discipline
- Previous experience in museum collections or exhibition development is advantageous, but not necessary
- Excellent research, writing, and organizational skills
- Attention to detail
Assist the education staff with developing and leading guided tours, workshops, and public programs. During your internship, you may:
- Develop new adult presentations based on historical research.
- Create and execute new workshops for students in PreK through 12th grade.
- Assist in planning programs and events
Complete your hours between 9:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday depending on the availability of your immediate supervisor. We request that you’re available at least one morning each week. Night and weekend hours are available only when assisting with special events and programs.
You must have an interest in working with children and adults in a professional setting.
Contribute to print and online marketing for educational programming, exhibits, partnerships, and events. During your internship, you may:
- Assist in the creation of signage, circulars, mock-ups, email campaigns, online promotion, etc.
- Assist in the distribution or delivery of marketing materials
- Assist with fulfillment of marketing offers
- Assist with community festivals
- Perform analysis of marketing data
- Seek and analyze competitor marketing materials both on and offline
- Prepare presentations
- Enter contact information into contact management systems
- Support social media efforts
- Track public relations activity
Complete your hours Monday through Friday between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment
- Undergraduate or graduate student majoring in public relations, marketing, advertising or related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extensive knowledge of Web and social media
- PowerPoint, Word and Excel experience preferred
Students interested in other areas or a special project may contact us directly. When doing so, please submit your resume and a letter of intent describing what type of work you would like to do at the Museum. Please include the word “Internship” in the subject of your email.