Enrich and expand your curriculum in a fun and memorable way with a field trip to the African American Museum of Iowa. During this hands-on, on-site learning experience, students will:
- Make a first-hand connection to history
- Strengthen observation and critical thinking skills
- Learn tolerance and historical empathy
- Benefit from exposure to diverse ideas
- Expand their awareness of their own community
Field Trip Guidelines
Field trips are available Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Gallery tours are recommended only for grades 3 and above. You may bring groups of the following sizes:
- Grades 3–5: 10 to 60 students
- Grades 6–8: 10 to 50 students
- Grades 9–12: 10 to 40 students
Learning Safari hands-on workshops are recommended for PreK through second grade.
The per student cost is $2 for the first tour/activity and $1 for each additional tour/activity. We offer free admission for two chaperones for every 15 students. Subsequent chaperones pay the regular adult admission of $5 per person.
Tours must be scheduled at least seven days in advance. To request a field trip, submit the form below.
Bus Grant Program
If you need assistance with transportation costs, apply for our bus grant.