Meeting & Event Space at the AAMI
Host your next event at the African American Museum of Iowa. You’ll find a variety of rooms inside our one-of-a-kind museum on the banks of the Cedar River in downtown Cedar Rapids. Count on our professional staff to accommodate your needs and assist with your event planning as much as possible.
Get more information about our meeting and event spaces. To reserve a room, complete our room rental request form.
Aldeen Davis Celebration Hall
The spacious, versatile Aldeen Davis Celebration Hall is ideal for a wide range of events, including weddings, fundraisers, luncheons, formal dinners, dances, business meetings and training workshops. Enjoy the view of the Cedar River, Cedar River Trail, and Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial public art piece, Trumpet. This rental also includes use of the museum’s adjacent Harper Terrace.
- Room size: 38′ x 72′
- Capacity: 200 (round tables) / 240 guests (theater style)
- Amenities: Kitchen, storage area, audio-visual system, access to Harper Terrace
- Rental fees:
- Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. — $75/hour or $200.00/four hours
- Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. — $125/hour
- Monday to Friday 5 p.m. to 12:00 a.m., Saturday 4 to 12 a.m., Sunday 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. — $135/hour
- Please note that end times include cleanup.
Tablecloths and table skirts are available for $4 each. You may hang decorations from the ceilings, but you may not attach anything to the walls.
AEGON Learning Lab
This meeting room is also home to the AAMI’s library of non-circulating books. Use it as a unique, quiet space for classes, business retreats or small community gatherings.
- Room size: 23’ 4” x 21’ 8”
- Capacity: 35
- Amenities: projection screen and audio capabilities
- Rental fees:
- Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. — $35/hour, $120 for four hours or $200 for eight hours
- Monday to Friday 5 p.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., Sunday 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. — $50/hour
AAMI Meeting & Conference Room
Ask about using the conference room on the second floor of the museum for your community group meeting.
- Room size:
- Capacity: 8 chairs around a large conference table; additional chairs can be placed around the perimeter of the room if needed
- Rental fees: Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Free
An AAMI staff member must be on-site during your event.
No smoking is allowed on museum grounds.
A $75 housekeeping fee is required for all celebration hall and learning lab rentals.
The AAMI has no vendor restrictions. You’re welcome to choose any caterer for your event.